Sunday, October 16, 2016

Hedwig (no, not the owl)

Back in 2001, my dear friend Gareth suggested we go see this new film that just came out, Hedwig and the Angry Inch. I hadn't heard anything about it and it was playing at one of the art theaters in San Francisco, the Lumiere. I know this is a terrible thing for a film student to say, but I generally dislike art house theaters. They are typically tiny with sticky floors and undersized screens, smell of pretentiousness and have bad popcorn. So I prepared myself for an evening of snooty, slow paced "cinema".
Well. What I got was NOTHING that I expected (that's not entirely true...still sticky floors and small screens). I was blown away. I immediately went out and got the cd (2001, people) and listened to it over and over and over.
Now here we are, 15 years later. Finally the Broadway version of Hedwig has come to San Francisco, so I ran out to see it. And by "ran out to see it" I mean I bought tickets in December 2015 to see a show in October 2016. It stars Darren Criss (Glee) as Hedwig and Lena Hall (who won a Tony for her performance on Broadway) plays Yitzhak.  
Seeing the live performance made me want to watch the movie again, so here are my thoughts on Hedwig - live and on celluloid.


Hedwig and the Angry Inch - released in 2001
SNH performance - October 2016

I try to do my homework for these blog posts, usually to make sure I'm not writing something blatantly untrue or just plain dumb (and it happens anyway, so I apologize!). In a weird moment of serendipity (?), I was going through old papers the week before I saw the live performance and found an interview with John Cameron Mitchell (writer, director, star) that I printed out in January of 2002 (yes, this is why I was going through old papers. I recycled/shredded over 100 lbs of paper). Nice timing. I saved this from the shredder for the moment.
Additionally, my pal David had tickets and invited me to a Q&A with Darren Criss, Lena Hall and Stephen Trask (wrote all the Hedwig music). It was super interesting and they ended up playing a couple songs which resulted in me becoming an immediate Lena Hall fan.
Homework done!

The story of Hedwig metamorphosed out of John Cameron Mitchell (JCM) and Stephen Trask working on a show concept. JCM was inspired by a babysitter he had when he lived in Kansas and wanted to do add a scene with her. She was a German army wife. They did a sort of open mike night at a drag club and it was immediately popular. Hedwig was born. Now that they had a path, JCM mentions that the story is influenced by a Plato tale. They developed it primarily in clubs before it hit Off Broadway.  
The live performance differs significantly from the film. It's just Hedwig, Yitzak and the rest of the band in a one-night gig. Well, and the wigs.  
Hedwig talks us through her emotional arc. The SNH performance is great. They clearly keep the show vital by adding topical banter (we had some jokes about the upcoming election). The set appears to be a junkyard with a broken down car that not only elevates Hedwig onstage when needed but also serves as a dressing room for quick costume changes. Darren Criss is a really strong singer and performer. He is really charming and funny, particularly when he interacts with the crowd. And I can't say this enough, Lena Hall is fantastic. Her voice is amazing and, well, really Broadway. You know...there's just something different when it's live.  
The show also did a really clever thing...they said that the night before there had been a performance of Hurt Locker: the musical, which closed after the first act. To flesh this out, there were Playbills all over the place for the Hurt Locker performances, starring Bobby Cannavale and Taye Diggs! Music and Lyrics by Metallica and Stephen R. Schwartz, HA! And, I really hope there is a person in real life named Hunter Taylor Thompson-Tyler, who also stars. Cuz that name is frickin' awesome! Songs include "Baghdad Mornin' (Hello, Hazmat)" and "What's With All These Goats?"
I'd love to know who put all that together. Amazing.

But I'm not gonna lie. I love love love the movie. JCM is brilliant as Hedwig. In sharp contrast to the live performance, Hedwig says very little when not on stage (we are with her through a whole tour this time, playing Bilgewater Restaurants in the same cities that Tommy Gnosis is playing...yes, she's a stalker). JCM's facial expressions are subtle, gorgeous and eloquent.
Andrea Martin plays Hedwig's tour manager. I think her role is essentially the moral compass of the film, trying to keep Hedwig in line despite Hedwig trying her hardest to implode.
This story is a story of someone who is terribly broken; she has been pulled apart literally and figuratively and is desperately trying to figure out how to fit in the world.  Through her tour (or the narrative of her one-night only show) we see her put herself back together again. It takes love. Self love. JCM talks about the wig being a protective cloak and when Hedwig no longer needs it, she passes it to Yitzak. I love this interpretation.

Thoughts on live vs. film:
  • I saw this with Beth and Todd (natch). Beth's hairdresser had told her she thought Darren Criss was too buff for this role and it's true that JCM is much leaner and more feminine. But after watching the film I think I'd describe it like this: Darren Criss does a great job playing Hedwig, the drag queen. JCM is Hedwig. He exudes Hedwig out of his very pores.
  • Darren Criss has a great voice. Not "Broadway" but did a good job on all the songs. JCM tears the songs out of himself. It is a visceral experience. You hear every bit of crazy emotion pouring off him in every note. 
  • Whichever presentation one prefers, this story is a beautiful depiction of a broken person putting herself together. Hedwig is absolutely the phoenix rising from the fire.
  • Also either way you want to see it, the music is awesome! Stephen Trask's lyrics are heartfelt and tell the story perfectly (just how songs in a musical should be!). Additionally, he's in the film as a band member. AND...Bob Mould (Husker Du, Sugar) performs on the film soundtrack. That's just cool.
(My drink pairing for the live performance was a lovely house gin and tonic from Whitechapel SF http://whitechapelsf.com. I highly recommend them - cool steampunk atmosphere and super yummy drinks. Get there early, though, it fills up fast.)

My takeaways:
#1 - Tommy Gnosis was played by Michael Pitt in the film.  He's great.  Apparently he frequently plays sociopaths on TV...just saw him in an old Law & Order: SVU.
#2 - This whole post may have been affected by a "what you see first is what you always like best" type of thing.  Sorry!
#3 - I believe this movie singlehandedly schooled us belly dancers on how to do great glitter lippy.

xoxo...hashtagSueslife

No comments:

Post a Comment