Tuesday, January 3, 2017

Good riddance, 2016.

2016 has just been a heaping pile of steaming shit.  

We lost so many amazing people this year it felt like an avalanche. And we gained...well, everyone has their own opinion on who we gained so I'll let you fill in your favorite descriptor (insert raised eyebrow here).

Last year in February I wrote a post entitled "January sucked" about the passing of Alan Rickman and David Bowie. Then so many more in the ensuing months (Gene Wilder, George Michael gah!!). It was like sand slipping through our collective fingers. There was really no way to get a handle on it. But to end the year with Carrie Fisher and Debbie Reynolds - only one day apart? What the fuck??

These two really did me in. If I was asked to do a top 10 favorite movies list, you all know that Singin' In The Rain and Star Wars would top that list. I've written around these two movies so many times in this blog (I doubt I'd ever "revue" either film because I unabashedly love them both so much.  It would be like a one word post: Love.); they both have been a part of my life for so long.

I feel terrible for the two remaining family members. I can't imagine what Carrie's daughter Billie is going through, losing her mom and grandmother within a day of each other. Carrie's brother Todd, though, seems the most tragic. I saw him interviewed and read some things he's posted. He talks about Debbie telling him she wanted to be with Carrie after Carrie died. What does that do to you, when your mother says that about your sibling?  Is he feeling like "Why am I not enough to keep you here"? He talks about their beautiful love story but does he think "Didn't you love me as much, didn't we also have a love story"? 

I have been mourning the loss of these two women and it's obviously not because I knew them but because they both represent portions of my life. Debbie = watching musicals with my mother and Carrie = my adolescence. I guess when celebrities that you feel a connection with pass away a bit of your youthful idealism goes with them.

A little over a year ago, when The Force Awakens came out, I wrote this about Carrie Fisher:

Princess Leia Organa
I really, really loved Carrie Fisher in Star Wars.  She just seemed like the most amazing woman.  I knew she was fairly young, her mother was in one of my all time favorite films (Singin' in the Rain...in the early days of Star Wars I remember that the talk shows, etc, kept talking about how Carrie's breakout role had her playing off of two men, just like Debbie's.  I felt pretty mature because I knew what they were talking about), and she was so clever and witty in interviews.  I wore gold hoop earrings for like a year because I saw Carrie Fisher wear them.
Star Wars isn't the only iconic film Carrie has been in (When Harry Met Sally..."I want you to know, I'll never want that wagon wheel coffee table."  Classic!).  She works a ton.  She's been in movies and TV shows, has done some voice work, is a great writer and created an amazing one-woman show called Wishful Drinking which I was lucky enough to see in Berkeley when it came around.  And her dog's name is Gary.  Gary Fisher.  So good.
I've always (and still do) wanted to be friends with Carrie Fisher.  When I was young I wanted to be just like her.  In retrospect, I'm sure my family is pretty glad I'm NOT just like her.  I don't think I have enough in savings to go to a really good rehab.

Because I couldn't let go quickly, I watched a couple Carrie vehicles (I just couldn't do Singin' in the Rain or Star Wars...too much sad!).

Wishful Drinking - HBO released in 2010
As I stated above, I had seen it years ago live. Watching it again, though, was almost like a balm to soothe my aching heart. She's so engaging, witty and brutally honest. We know she's a strong woman but the beautiful thing is how she also let's us see her immense vulnerability. And the flow chart of Hollywood inbreeding is nothing short of brilliant.

Postcards From The Edge - released in 1990
I saw it back in the day (I read the book when it came out as well) and I really wanted a dose of Mother and Daughter together. I know what it's like to have a mom as a best friend. It's wonderful and difficult. Having that mother be a movie star...I can't even imagine. Anyway, the film was great largely due to the terrific screenplay written by Fisher. She so accurately captures their immense love coupled with absolute exasperation. It's her truth. Meryl Streep played the Carrie Fisher character. Obviously her acting is always flawless but goddammit I'm tired of her singing (This might be the first film she actually sang in, though. Oh wait, I have the Internet to tell me if this is true. Nope, not even close. She sang in like 3 movies prior to this.). Shirley MacLaine plays the Debbie Reynolds character. I tend to forget, because one has to sift through ALL her crazy, what a fantastic actress MacLaine is. Wowee.

(My drink pairing for any of the above is a nice glass of ice tea. Carrie struggled with addiction so let's honor her hard work.)

And really, the hits didn't stop coming up until the last minute. RIP William Christopher who played Father Mulcahy on MASH. 2016, you can fuck right off.

Here's hoping 2017 treats us all much more kindly. Wishing you all health and happiness in the New Year!





xoxo...hashtagSueslife

No comments:

Post a Comment