Tuesday, October 17, 2017

American Vandal

If any of you read my post about The Keepers you will know that I am a fan of the true crime series. I was all in for the podcast Serial (first season only - couldn't get into Season 2) as well as The Jinx and Making of a Murderer. My friend Jen suggested I listen to a podcast called My Favorite Murder, which I'm enjoying (although I have to take breaks or I get too freaked out). So it should come as no surprise that when I heard about American Vandal, I was intrigued. A satirical take on a true crime series? Sign me up. With high school students? Okay...maybe?

I enjoyed my high school years. But don't get me wrong - there is NO WAY I'd want to go back to that time. I'm not waxing nostalgic about my braces, headgear, silver wireframe glasses, down jacket or Birkenstocks. But I had a great group of friends (many of whom I'm lucky enough to still be in contact with) and a generally good experience. There is one thing I have maintained, though, since I left the hallowed halls of Lynbrook High - the social dynamics you encounter in high school don't change a whole lot when you are out in the real world. Sure, the "popular" crowd might look different (not jocks and cheerleaders necessarily) but a form of the social hierarchy remains. Even now, at my current job and at my current age, that dynamic exists with some of the producers.  Sometimes there is so much back slapping and guffawing between a chosen few that I'm worried someone might accidentally pop a rib. 

The thing is, my high school crowd - the drama, band and AV geeks, were and remain fucking awesome! Each and every person I hung out with in high school taught me something cool (from introducing me to "alternative" bands to creating goofy and amazing costumes and so much in between). We were all loyal to each other and we didn't care where we fell in the social rankings; they are the reason I enjoyed my high school years.

We hung out on the corner of a wall (not all of us shown).

But high schoolers in my true crime series? Satire or not, my jury was out.

American Vandal - 8-part series on Netflix, 2017
Well, my jury is in and it's absolutely favorable!
This series is funny, intelligent and far deeper than one would expect.
It's basically the story of a sophomore, Peter, who is a reporter on his school's morning TV show. Another kid, senior Dylan Maxwell, has been accused of spray painting graffiti on all the teacher's cars. Dylan has a history of being a "bad kid" - his YouTube channel proves it. He and his group of friends "the Wayback Boys" (which includes a girl), do ridiculous pranks and film them as running "shows" including "Baby Farting" and "Nuns Humping Trees". The Wayback Boys aren't subtle in their series naming so you can guess what each one is about. Dylan has been expelled from school and is facing a felony hearing.
Peter hears about this and immediately pokes some holes in the case so he decides to investigate. He is that wonderful kid everyone knew in high school. He's not "popular" but everyone seems to know him. He's an excellent student and ridiculously earnest. He knows who his friends are and he feels strongly in justice being served.
The crime in question:  someone drew dicks on all the teacher's cars during an "admin" day. 27 dicks on 27 cars. I can't tell you how much this appeals to my 13-year-old boy aesthetic. The idea that this is what is being investigated, and with such solemnity, is hilarious to me. 
Peter (and let's not think this name is an accident - every episode has a penis joke name ("The Limp Alibi" "Climax" "Clean Up")) and his fellow reporters leave no stone unturned. They dig in and put together a startlingly good case for Dylan's innocence. One of my favorite arguments in Dylan's defense is that, while Dylan is a notorious Dick Drawer (he draws them everywhere and frequently documents them), his are drawn differently than the dicks on the cars. They discuss the fact that he always includes ball hairs (which are absent on the cars) as if he's Picasso and the painting in question is a Monet.

27 dicks on 27 cars (not all shown).

The thing that makes this series stand out is the character development. The filmmakers clearly love these kids. They fit into the cookie cutter stereotypes you expect - jocks, student body president overachiever, AV geek, yet they are all so much more. Both Dylan and Peter have important revelations about their lives. Their friends disappoint, surprise, atone. They grow. Do they come out better on the other side? Do we know who drew the dicks?  You have to watch to find out. 
As an oldster (please read this in a creaky, cranky old lady voice) I realize that everything in this day and age is recorded SOMEwhere. Whether it's official (CCTV) or unofficial (cell phone pictures/footage from a party), it's the perfect way to lend credibility to a bunch of high school students being able to launch a proper investigation. While this is really cool, I'm also incredibly happy I grew up in the stone age where none of my shenanigans are documented.
I give this one an A.
(My drink pairing for this is absolutely, 100%, a beer bong.)

My takeaways:
#1 - I have too much fun in my present to miss my past, but I'm glad to say that at least I have a shit ton of good memories (that aren't documented on cell phone footage).
#2 - My coworker Shannon suggested this show to me. We are just getting to know each other and apparently I'm a bit more of an open book than I think I am.
#3 - Even though I thoroughly enjoyed American Vandal, the best "mockumentary" ever: This Is Spinal Tap.

xoxo...hashtagSueslife

No comments:

Post a Comment