Monday, September 17, 2018

Show. Off.

I've recently realized that for a long time I always had "something to do". Something that wasn't my job but I could focus on. 

For about 5 years in the late 80's/early 90's I volunteered at the SF SPCA. I was an Adoption Counselor (now they call them Matchmakers) and felt proud that I helped many animals get forever homes. The SPCA was a lot more ghetto back then...the cats were in small, relatively bare cages vs the lovely condos they have now. I remember once a cat got loose in one of the rooms and I was the only person willing to reach my arm underneath the bank of cages and pull the kitty out. Yes, I bled. At the end of my SPCA stint, I recruited a few friends and made a very (very!) silly video for the Volunteer Dinner. It was about a bunch of animals talking about their time at the SPCA. Little did I know that a few years later I would spend more than a decade making movies about talking animals. Ah, foreshadowing.

Post- SPCA, I found belly dance. And anyone who knows me at all will know that belly dance became all-consuming. Don't get me wrong, I loved it. It basically changed everything for me. Learning, rehearsing, performing, teaching...it was like a full time job!  It molded me into the person I am today.

That molding process took 18 years.  And when it was done...well I wasn't exactly sure what that meant for my life.

Around the same time that belly dance ended, my job (which was like having two full time jobs, quite honestly) also ended. After 5 blissful months off (which is when this blog became a twinkle in my eye), I found a new job with MUCH better work/life balance. So where does that leave the girl who always has "something to do"?

I like to bake and there are a few dishes I make often. Baklava is the big one. I like to fancy myself a "filo whisperer". I also like to bake cookies and quick breads. I tried a pie once which was stressful but fun (and edible!). Beth and I have baked some things together which spawned our fake company, Clandestine Bakeries (named after our belly dance troupe). I think it's fair to say we were getting a little cocky - especially after we made a really tasty bread and a dessert that included making our own caramel! Which totally worked and was delicious.

So I was thinking...hmmm, maybe baking? It's kind of fun and rewarding when people like what you create. Okay! Yes! Baking.

Then I watched this:
The Great British Baking Show - Series 4 - 8 released on Netflix
Wow, dudes. 
After watching all the seasons Netflix has to offer I realized that not only am I an amateur...it's like I don't even know what a cake pan is.
I'm not a filo whisperer...I shout at it.
When Beth and I made edible caramel it was completely beginners luck.

I know I'm late to jump on the GBBS bandwagon but I love this show! Fun fact: when this show aired in the UK they called it The Great British Bake Off. Because Pillsbury clearly has identity issues, they complained that a show in America can't use "Bake Off" because that is theirs. So they changed it to "Baking Show". Show. Off. You decide. 
As I've talked about before, reality shows - particularly competitions - aren't really my thing (Except the Voice. I love the Voice.). But this is like a reality show/competition that is covered in candy floss and icing sugar. 
Everyone is polite to each other. They help each other in a jam. The original hosts (Mel and Sue) are funny but never at the expense of anyone (except maybe judge Paul Hollywood but you kind of think he deserves it). And there is always a group hug when someone has to go home. So nice!

Plus, this has spawned some inspired (to us) texting between me and Beth.
We were harsh:
S: Paul is judging with his dick.

We channeled Harry Potter:
- Beth called one contestant " a Weasley" because he was a ginger and for a moment I thought (hoped) it was his real name.
- I was positive one contestant looked just like Madame Pomfrey (I included these photos)

See what I mean??

We called out the difference between the UK and the US:
B: The winners apparently don't get any money or anything. Just a cake stand, flowers and recognition. SO not American.
S:  Recognition would never be enough for a Yank.

We were fashion police:
B: The blonde has tighter pants in S2. Maybe she got some feedback.

We were judges:
S: Toby needs to go.
B:  Not to worry there.

We monitored the tragedies:
B: Wait till you get to Custardgate.
S: Oh, you mean that the woman used Chinless's custard? 
B: Yes.
S: Poor Howard (aka Chinless). Didn't Sue put her elbow in his muffin? Heh.
B; Yes!
And
S: OMG...the custard tart debacle!!
B: Those tarts were a hot mess.
S: Yeah. Tragic.

We got inspired:
S: Those filo "snakes" are interesting
B: Indeed.
S: I might need to try something snakey.
B: You could totes do it
S: Spanakopita snake
B: Sssssssssspanakopita. Thank you, I'll be here all night.

We realized that Brits can be kinda nasty:
B: There's a hilarious moment when the Weasley makes a marzipan knight and places the knight's lance, ahem, a wee bit low. Paul totally calls him on it and they show a close up. Brits are dirtier than I thought.

After extended negotiations with the BBC (that apparently didn't go that well?) the show moved to Channel 4. At that time Mel and Sue also left the show. The show goes on with new hosts. My jury is out, to be honest, about the new hosts. They seem nice enough but they haven't quite sold me yet with their cry of "On your mark. Get set. BAKE!"

(My drink pairing for this whole series is Fortnum & Mason's St Pancras Blend Tea. Because what goes better with baked goods than English tea??)

My takeaways:
#1 - Why DO I feel like I need to be so busy all the time?
#2 - Clandestine Bakeries is not deterred by our amateur status. We will bake again!
#3 - My whole household got the baking bug:

xoxo...hashtagSueslife

4 comments:

  1. You and Beth are so right about Paul...except he actually knows whereof he speaks. He comes from a baking family so has yeast in his DNA. Very scrummy blog, Sue!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did you get inspired to try and make your own filo dough? That looks so complicated!

    ReplyDelete
  3. All the loves for this blog post!! And for The Great British Bake-Off!

    ReplyDelete